The Souzou Games
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arc I Side Story 6: A Gem In The Rough

2 posters

Go down

Arc I Side Story 6: A Gem In The Rough Empty Arc I Side Story 6: A Gem In The Rough

Post by SSJRandomMaster Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:34 am

Despite the war raging on the continent between super intelligence and super strength, there are those who manage to find relative peace. They are few and far between with how widespread the war has become, but those who were able have managed their seclusion well. Some groups even remain in total seclusion. This is the story of one such group.

The Zenko, a tribe of Animal-type humans with mysterious powers, hid from humanity long ago, in a forest deep in the mountains, and have managed their seclusion through clever tricks. They have not been disturbed by them since, though even now their arcane powers still enable them to hide if they so choose.

Please note that although this story is presented in our common tongue, they are actually speaking their own dialect, their own language.
--------------------
“Not again, sensei…”

The voice came at barely above a whisper, coming straight from a fox girl’s mouth. She had two tails, was golden furred, wore a surprisingly long ponytail from her head…fur…? Hair? Not really important, call it what you will. Her face was buried into her hands in mild exasperation, her posture and slight head shake suggesting this has happened a good dozen or so times already…

Arc I Side Story 6: A Gem In The Rough Jewel1_by_gohan2535-dcllo7q

Around her neck, was a rather shiny jewel, bound tightly to her neck with twine as a necklace. It was so close to her it didn’t even come below the rather high neckline of her pink, blue-trimmed tabard. Strangely, despite her surroundings, or perhaps because of them, she wasn’t wearing any form of footwear…

The kitsune Jewel could only keep her eyes open, hoping that her master wouldn’t keep her waiting too much longer.
SSJRandomMaster
SSJRandomMaster

Back to top Go down

Arc I Side Story 6: A Gem In The Rough Empty Elder Howl

Post by TheToonKing Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:01 am

scratch scratch

The old Kitsune yawned his head back, scratching at his bare chest. His tabard was split down the middle, folded over like a dōgi, where it remained rather loose, a mound of his brown chest fur peaking out. An eye he looked through was a pale white, the skin scared across it and partly down his cheek. Other scars peaked through his fur and tabard, all across his torso. The fingers he scratched his chest with were rather misshapen as well. His heads hair spiked out greatly.

"Garn's sake is the greatest under the heavens!!" the Kitsune Howl declared to himself in memory of the previous night. "If it weren't an inheritance for his son, I could have gotten the recipe from him by now!!"

The sun peaking through the treeline burned at Howl's eyes, he'd partook in quite a bit of said sake...

Oh well, he could trust Jewel with things anyway. Ah the bliss that comes with old age...

He didn't give the days task any further thought, returning his mind to sake. He wondered if Garn's was impressive compared to the sake of what modern society called Japan, the country the Zenko people once thrived. They'd since moved across the world, but remained rooted in some old japanese culture they'd once indulged in.

So which sake was better...the sake of old Japan, of the modern Zenko, or of modern Japan...

--- --- --- --- ---

As Jewel sat atop a tree stump which had been cut years ago, she heard the twig crunching of her masters approach.

"..." Jewel gave her master a rather deadly stare, as the scared old man grinned back with closed eyes.

"It's good to see you, Jewel!!" Howl's smile deflected Jewel's glare, soon ending it. "You've been keeping busy I presume?"

"Of course..." Jewel agreed, turning head away. "I wouldn't waste time now that my training's complete..."

"Quite...and you've taken the new time and applied it to helping others..." Howl nodded, recalling word from the villages fellow elderly, telling praise of Jewels miscellaneous deeds. "I wonder, have you cept in shape?" he questioned the implications of keeping busy...

Jewel's cheeks tinted a tad, resenting the remark. "Of course!! What kind of student did you take me for..."

"Did?" Howl replied quickly, "You are still my student, even if our daily training has ceased. You will always be my student."

Jewel didn't give her late master the satisfaction of seeing her reaction...stepping up and beginning their walk.

"Well, you've wasted valuable time which we could have been spent on the hunt..." Jewel said, going ahead without her master. Howl picked up the pace to keep up, clearly finding the walking speed a nuisance... "Was the drunken night worth disappointing your student..."

"Aye!" Howl declared in approval.

"Sensei..."

[San Daichoro - Elder Howl]
--- --- --- --- ---
OOC: *San Daichoro = Three Great Elders, the three elders elected to the top of the Zenko government.

Last edited by TheToonKing on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
TheToonKing
TheToonKing
ToonKing911
ToonKing911

Back to top Go down

Arc I Side Story 6: A Gem In The Rough Empty Re: Arc I Side Story 6: A Gem In The Rough

Post by SSJRandomMaster Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:27 am

The master and student continued through the thickened woods, which were still more or less within their sacred lands. The forest was full of flora and fauna which didn’t quite mesh with the rest of the surrounding areas, but was nonetheless good enough for the Zenko. For a variety of reasons, really. One such reason was making itself known. Jewel suddenly knelt down, looking closer at the ground.

“Hmm…” said Jewel to herself, inspecting the ground closely. Over her shoulder, Howl looked down, seeing what Jewel was seeing. Though he had faith in his student’s judgment, he still felt the need to ask.

With a slight nod, he glanced towards Jewel. “So what did you find?”

“Tracks…” Jewel said, leaning down closer to the tracks, “Likely from a boar. The shape of the hoofprint, the direction the ‘toes’ point, the boar must be a Hageshī*, specifically."
*Translator’s note, “Hageshī” means “Fierce”

Behind her, Howl smiled, scratching at his chest inside his shirt.

“That’s exactly right,” he said, continuing his rude action for a bit longer, “It seems like just yesterday I was forbidding you from confronting a single Hageshī Boar… now I’ll see you in hunt for a number of them.”

Inexplicably, a chibi-fied Howl appeared, wiping a tear from his eye. “They grow up so fast…”

Seemingly unpeturbed by Howl’s comment, Jewel continued to examine the tracks for a few moments longer, standing up.

“These tracks are still quite fresh,” she observed, “It won’t be long before we catch up. As long as we remain quiet…” Jewel grabbed the gem on her necklace lightly, seeming to brace herself for what was to come, “We should be able to surprise them.”

“How sensible…” Howl commented, “I’d have just attacked…”

As Howl chuckled to himself, Jewel lightly shook her head in response.

“It makes much more sense to assault one’s quarry before they’re aware…”

Jewel’s thumb gently flicked the jewel on her necklace, dislodging it from its housing. Jewel’s opposite hand shot up, catching the jewel with a well-practiced movement. The jewel suddenly began to glow with an arcane light that matched Jewel’s fur color, and the gem began to change shape. Soon, it took the form of a spear, which Jewel gripped tightly in both her hands as soon as it was done forming.

“Ready yourself, sensei,” Jewel advised, lowering the volume of her voice just a bit more, “We should be able to get the drop on them very soon.”

“Quite,” Howl said, reaching into clothes to grab his own jewel, “Let’s go…”

Howl looked quite cool for exactly one second. He then paused, confused. He began to move his hand inside his top, searching for something, something quite important. Howl eventually resorting to giving himself quite the pat d own. He then turned to face a waiting, wide-eyed Jewel with wide eyes of his own.

“So it was last night at Garn’s…” Howl trailed off as memory overtook him. Jewel watched, her concern turning to flat disappointment.

That Garn again… he’s a terrible influence, and gladly lets even an elder like Sensei shirk his duties…

“I must have forgotten my Hoshi no Tama there!!”
---

Hoshi no Tama: A special magical jewel produced by a Kitsune at birth. Likened by the Zenko to be their very soul, they almost never have these anywhere but on their person. Can change shapes based on the users spirit, often used by Zenko warriors to create their weapons...

---
“That jewel is your very soul, sensei…” Jewel said, her composure finally breaking in light of the revelation as her voice rose in volume, “How could you ever forget it???”
SSJRandomMaster
SSJRandomMaster

Back to top Go down

Arc I Side Story 6: A Gem In The Rough Empty Re: Arc I Side Story 6: A Gem In The Rough

Post by TheToonKing Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:16 pm

Howl gave his student a look of "...really?" at her loud reaction. The voice had no doubt carried quite a ways...quite the error for the careful Jewel. She seemed to note her mistake, clutching a hand to her mouth.

Howl nodded his head forward, and the two continued, disappearing into some bushes and trees...

--- --- --- --- ---

The Hageshī Boar were a large red beast, their long tusks often worn from use, shown with pride. They would fight amongst themselves for sport, but despite that they were incredibly coordinated in survival situations. While the Hageshī survived on plants, the species has survived in this area thanks to fighting off predators, not being them.

It was thanks to their senses honed over countless years that this batch was able to catch Jewels approach, noting her movement as she tucked behind a tree.

The two smaller boars looked to their large leader, a Hageshī Boss of sorts, who raised its head aggressively. Deal with it...

While they'd noted Jewels presence, another swept up close to the ground like a shadow, appearing at the Hageshī Boss' side...

--- --- --- --- ---
Surprise Round!!
--- --- --- --- ---

As the "shadow" reached the Boss its form cleared into Howl, casually raising a hand with his middle finger pulled back...

Arc I Side Story 6: A Gem In The Rough 79cT

Letting it lose before any of the animals had even reacted to his movement, his finger flicked into the Hageshī Boss' head and sent it flying, tumbling through the air head over bum repeatedly.

The two nearby boars eyes popped out in surprise. Boss!?

Howl attacks Hageshī Boss with his Keikai Tonton (KP -7 147 -> 140), inflicting 24 damage! (87 -> 63)

*Keikai Tonton = Light Tap
--- --- --- --- --- ---
Initiative Order
Howl (17)
Boars (9)
Jewel (8 )
Boss (7)
---
Jewel (Lv. 4 / 86 HP / 154 KP / 129 ESP / 5 AP)
Howl (Lv. 5 / 137 HP / 140 KP / 4 AP)
Vs
Hageshī Boss (Lv. 3 / 63 HP / 82 KP / 0 AP)
Hageshī Boar A (Lv. 2 / 60 HP / 70 KP / 0 AP)
Hageshī Boar B (Lv. 2 / 60 HP / 70 KP / 0 AP)

--- --- --- --- ---
Round 1, start!
---
Howl's turn

The twin grunt boars hopped to their bosses aid as it tried to get its barrings. As the first approached, Howl eyed it.

"Hmm...you're looking good..." Howl began, before matching dishes of cooked meat appeared in both eyes. Despite raising his fist to start a fresh attack, the future meat seemed to distract him to much. The boar closed in before Howl had thrown his punch, causing him to switch to evading the boars charge instead.

Howl attacks Hageshī Boar A with a punch, but misses!!

Hageshī Boar's turns!
TheToonKing
TheToonKing
ToonKing911
ToonKing911

Back to top Go down

Post by SSJRandomMaster Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:43 pm

Boar A’s turn!

As if it hadn’t noticed Howl’s attempt to strike it, Boar A ran past him, moving into a defensive stance against the still recovering Boss Boar, glaring at the kitsunes that dared attack them, and strike at his master. It moved one hoof, as if daring them to come closer.

Boar A uses Protect on Boss Boar, redirecting all attacks against Boss Boar to it, first one with disadvantage
Boar B’s turn!

Boar B, meanwhile, seeing the boss well-protected, opted to take his frustrations out on the first fox he’d noticed: Jewel, who had all but earlier announced her position. Without waiting, the boar charged her. Jewel tried to dodge, but she wasn’t quick enough. Perhaps her earlier frustrations had gotten the better of her. The horn just nicked her arm, leaving only a tear in the fabric and a mild scratch in the skin at best.

Boar B attacks Jewel, inflicting 4 damage! (Jewel HP 86 -> 82)
Jewel’s turn!

“Don’t look down on me,” Jewel warned, readying her spear in both hands and slashing it through the air. The boar was too slow getting out of Jewel’s reach, and took a rather nasty slice across its side for its efforts. Taking note of this, Howl nodded to himself with approval.

“Not out of practice, I see…”

Jewel attacks Boar B in turn with her spear, inflicting 20 damage! (Boar B HP 60 -> 40)
Boar Boss’s turn!
SSJRandomMaster
SSJRandomMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TheToonKing Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:04 am

Boss's turn!

As the large leading boar rolled over onto its feet, it tried to shake off the dizzy feeling in its head. As its vision cleared, its eyes set dead on the finger-flicker, Howl, who was glancing at his student.

The boss took off in a wild charge, several trees between him and the Kitsune smashing into woodchips as it rampaged through.

Howl's head turned back towards it, before the rest of his body twisted out of harms way just before the beasts body impacted. The boss cept its momentum, still charging, trying to slow.

Hageshī Boss misses Howl with its Hageshī Tosshin! (KP 82 -> 77)
*Hageshī Tosshin = Fierce Charge
---
Initiative Order
-----------------
Howl (17)
Hageshi Boars (9)
Jewel (8 )
Boss Boar (7)

Stat Block (Lv. / HP / KP / ... / AP)
-----------
Jewel (Lv. 4 / 82 HP / 154 KP / 129 ESP / 5 AP)
Howl (Lv. 5 / 137 HP / 140 KP / 4 AP)
Hageshī Boss (Lv. 3 / 63 HP / 77 KP / 0 AP)
Hageshī Boar A (Lv. 2 / 60 HP / 70 KP / 0 AP)
Hageshī Boar B (Lv. 2 / 40 HP / 70 KP / 0 AP)
--- --- --- --- ---
Round 2, start!
---

Howl's turn!

The elderly Kitsune looked at its attacked, as it tried to slow itself down, and didn't waste to long lunging across the distance to attack its back.

Boar A however charged in from the side as Howl was preparing to attack, throwing off the attempt.

Howl attacks Hageshī Boss, but is redirected to Boar A and misses!

Howl glanced at the small grunt, which eyed him with a willingness to kill. They were good eyes.

The man's foot shot up for the protective boar now, but it backtracked suddenly and managed to escape harm

Howl burns an AP (4 -> 3) to attack again, but misses!

Hageshī Boar's turns!

Last edited by TheToonKing on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
TheToonKing
TheToonKing
ToonKing911
ToonKing911

Back to top Go down

Post by SSJRandomMaster Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:16 am

Boar B seemed like it was ready to continue its battle with Jewel, when Boar A suddenly called out to it. Boar A, who had initially begun to follow its boss as it charged Howl, had suddenly stopped. Boar B squealed as if in understanding, and took its place at the boss’s side. Meanwhile, Boar A mimicked its boss’s move, and rushed towards Howl as well, only to meet a similar fate, being easily avoided as Howl sidestepped.

Taking in the change, Howl could only smile somewhat.

"Hm...protecting your boss fiercely, Hageshi? Fitting..."

Boar A uses Fierce Charge on Howl (Boar A KP 70 -> 65), but Howl dodges!
Boar B uses Protect on Boss Boar!
Jewel’s turn!

We need to end this quick… there could always be more nearby… thought Jewel to herself, her two tails twitching in thought. She then turned her attention to the boss boar, and rushed towards it, trying to slice it with her spear. However, Boar B intercepted with its horns, smacking the spear away. Gritting her teeth, Jewel tried again, only to meet with the same results. The twisting motion didn’t help much. Her tails twitching in annoyance, Jewel tried again, only to once again have her spear knocked aside.

“You twist the other way, Jewel. Remember?” Howl corrected from the sidelines, making the same flicking motion he’d done earlier to injure the Boss Boar.

“Oh…”

With this information reinvigorating her efforts, Jewel tried her attack again, twisting her spear clockwise as opposed to counter-clockwise, and this time, the boar seemed to realize it was screwed, turning away. The spear slammed straight through its body, killing it instantly as it passed clean through several important organs.

Nejire Yagi – Twisting Spear

Jewel took the opportunity to get some distance, her weapon trailing behind some blood as she did so…

Jewel attacks Boss Boar, but the attack is redirected to Boar B at disadvantage. It misses! Jewel then uses Twisting Spear 3 times (Jewel AP 5 -> 4 -> 3 -> 2; ESP 129 -> 118 -> 107 -> 96), eventually hitting for 35 damage! The attack is a crippling strike, which kills the boar instantly due to fodder rules (Boar B HP 40 -> 0)!
Boar Boss’s turn!
SSJRandomMaster
SSJRandomMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TheToonKing Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:48 am

Boss's turn!

Boar B seemed to check on its boss, whom was slowing down from its previous charge. As it came to a stop, Boar B seemed to try and communicate, only for the boss to charge right past it for Howl once again. Numerous veins were sprouting form the red mammals face, enraged further.

Howl had been giving his student a somewhat worried glance, seeing her subtly keeping her spear low, arms weary to lift after her previous attempts. She'd be fine, but had clearly gotten far to caught up in the moment and wasted energy for that kill.

He turned now to face the charging Hageshi, its eyes blank. Dirt and grass below was uprooted and sent flying from its charging feet...

"You always have a guard at your side to stave off attacks... But then, you charge into danger yourself?"

Howl held his ground, bringing back one hand in practiced stance. From her position, Jewel eyed it with a glint in her eye...

Nejire Tenohira – Twisting Palm

As the huge boar came into range, Howl's palm twisted forward in a clockwise rotation, air spiraling visible around the arm. The strike hit the boars forehead dead center, its massive body already quickly twisting in the moment of impact. The boars momentum was stopped completely, as an audible crunch could be heard.

Hageshi Boss attacks Howl once again with its Hageshī Tosshin, but he counterattacks with his Nejire Tenohira, inflicting 76 damage and killing it instantly! (KP-14 140 -> 126)

Initiative Order
-----------------
Howl (17)
Hageshi Boar A (9)
Jewel (8 )

-----------
Jewel (Lv. 4 / 82 HP / 154 KP / 96 ESP / 2 AP)
Howl (Lv. 5 / 137 HP / 126 KP / 3 AP)
Hageshi Boar A (Lv. 2 / 60 HP / 70 KP / 0 AP)
--- --- --- --- ---
Round 3, start!
---

Howl's turn!

Jewel was still taking in the moment of her masters Nejire Tenohira, which he'd executed flawlessly and as a counter attack no less...compared to her own Nejire Yagi, which she'd attacked with rather stubbornly despite missing the initial opening altogether. The two techniques were based on the same principle, and in the end gave the same results, but the difference in their users and the efficiency...

"Is your head becoming clouded already?" Howl's voice spoke up, bringing Jewel out of her thoughts. He was standing by her side. "Theirs no need to rush beyond your own pace..."

"I understand..." Jewel nodded, looking down with a bit of shame. Howl turned away from her, ready to defend her, allowing a moment of respite.

Howl uses Protect on Jewel!

"Your technique in the last moments was in good form, by the way..."

("H-Hai!!")
"Y-Yes..!"

Boar A's turn!
TheToonKing
TheToonKing
ToonKing911
ToonKing911

Back to top Go down

Post by SSJRandomMaster Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:38 am

The lone boar let out a fierce, high-pitched squeal that sounded more like a wail at the loss of his boss and his comrade so quickly, and charged the first vulpine that he could possibly see. Unfortunately for him, Howl wasn’t having it. He quickly stepped into the first boar’s path, and hopped over it, changing its path with little more than a tap from the palm, redirecting its path entirely. The boar was still healthy, but how much longer would that be the case?

Boar A attacks Jewel, but the attack is redirected to Howl instead! The attack misses!
Jewel’s turn!

Jewel couldn’t believe what had happened. A moment of frustration had passed over her, and she’d used up so much energy unnecessarily just taking down one of these boars. If she were younger and less mature, she’d have attributed this to her master’s less than ideal arrival earlier on, but she knew she couldn’t lay the blame on him for that. Taking advantage of the opening Howl had left, Jewel took in a deep breath, attempting to steady her mind. This hunt was nearly over. Soon, the two would return with fresh boar meat, a delicacy among their people….

Jewel opts to Rest, regaining 4 HP, 6 ESP, and 1 AP! (Jewel HP 82 -> 86; ESP 96 -> 102; AP 2 -> 3)
Suddenly…
SSJRandomMaster
SSJRandomMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TheToonKing Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:24 am

-----------------
Howl (17)
??? (14)
Hageshi Boar A (9)
Jewel (8 )

-----------
Jewel (Lv. 4 / 86 HP / 154 KP / 102 ESP / 3 AP)
--- --- --- --- ---
Round 4, start!
---
A new visitor circles overhead... (Initiative: 14)

Howl's turn!

The boar was turning around, picking up speed towards the duo once again. Seeing its charge coming, Howl concocted a scenario in his mind...

The image of his buff form, looking far larger then reality, grabbing the Hageshi Boar by the tusks, and lifting it up for his student to finish, came to mind. He moved in towards the beast to bring the vision to reality, hands moving towards the tusks...

But the old goofs hands slipped past the husks, before he gave a silly hop out of the boars path at the last second..

Howl attempts to grapple Boar A, but scores a natural 1...!

"There goes my chance at looking cool infront of my student..." Howl said to himself, comedic tears streaming down his face.
"Times running out for these things..."

Suddenly...a shadow passes over the area...
TheToonKing
TheToonKing
ToonKing911
ToonKing911

Back to top Go down

Post by SSJRandomMaster Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:30 am

Suddenly, from above, a massive shadow descended. Howl and Jewel, as well as the lone remaining boar, each looked up in alarm, the boar letting out an indignant snort. In a few moments, it was clear. A massive eagle swooped down with a loud screech, digging its claws into a downed boar with a threatening glare.

“What’re you doing here,” Howl questioned, mildly alarmed, “Hungry… Kunshu Eagle*?”

The eagle didn’t respond to Howl’s question straight away, instead eyeing the two kitsunes hungrily. Its gaze soon settled on Jewel, who found herself recalling facts about the Kunshu Eagle.

The Kunshu Eagle… she remembered, Enjoys a meal of multiple meats… And to it, us folk… humans that wander too close… these boars… all are prey to it…

The eagle shot forward, talons extended hungrily for Jewel, who merely leapt out of the way, Howl sharply gasping as it came forward, only to be met with relief at his student’s fast reflexes. At least those few seconds she took to clear her mind seemed to have paid off.

The Kunshu Eagle makes itself known, and pounces, grabbing one of the boar carcasses and tries to make a grab at Jewel, which fails (Eagle AP 4 -> 3)!
Boar A’s turn!

Boar A could only look on in utter indignance as the new arrival showed up and did what he did. Eyeing the two foxes and the new eagle, who was settling back into a ready position as it eyed all involved, the Boar tensed its body, ready to attack the next living soul that dared to try attacking it.

Boar A holds its action, waiting for someone to attack so that it may counterattack them!
Jewel’s turn!

Taking in the new arrival properly, Jewel turned to Howl. She knew how dangerous Kunshu Eagles were. It was a ravenous bird, and had been known to snatch up lesser kitsunes for a snack if they were unlucky. It had tried to do the same to her. Jewel was feeling slightly confident, but would defer to Howl’s judgment in this case.

“Sensei, should we take it down as well?” asked Jewel, eyeing the bird, leveling her spear at it tentatively, “I do recall the Kunshu Eagles are far more dangerous than any of these boars.”

Already the ideas were surging in her mind.

“It’s a predator who can prey on the Hageshi whenever it wants…” Howl said, “Which means it’s brimming with that fierce flavor!!”

Howl turned to face Jewel at this point, and Jewel saw the unmistakable shape of cooked chicken wings in his eyes. It was clear now what the plan was…

“Don’t let it get away!!”

“Very well…” Jewel said, taking in a deep breath. With that, she launched forward, leaping up. The bird tried to raise its beak at her, to stab her with its beak, but received a slash across its wing for its efforts. The bird only gave a screech of anger, the slash only breaking the skin at best, not drawing any blood. Coming to a rest at the eagle’s back, Jewel leapt forward. The eagle had enough time to react and turn, but not enough to get out of the way. Jewel gave her spear a twist as she stabbed, and the eagle gave a cry of surprise and pain as the spear tore a nice little wound into its chest, blood seeping out from the gash.

Jewel quickly backed off with one more jump as the eagle slashed at her, readying herself for the next attack…

Jewel attacks the Kunshu Eagle, inflicting 13 damage with her spear! (Eagle HP 200 -> 187) She then burns an AP to use her Twisting Spear (Jewel AP 3 -> 2; ESP 102 -> 91), a hit! 36 additional damage inflicted! Eagle endure fails! (Eagle HP 187 -> 151; AP 3 -> 2)
---------------
*Kunshu Eagle = Monarch Eagle, a very large bird of prey.
-------
Initiative Order
-----------------
Howl (17)
Kunshu Eagle (14)
Hageshi Boar A (9)
Jewel (8)

-----------
Jewel (Lv. 4 / 86 HP / 154 KP / 91 ESP / 2 AP)
Kunshu Eagle (Lv. 4 / 151 HP / 100 KP / 2 AP)
SSJRandomMaster
SSJRandomMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TheToonKing Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Round 5, start!
Howl's turn!

The mighty eagle flapped its wing wildly in response to the sudden chest wound, and it seemed to study Jewel with an interest. Or rather, in questioning "is the meat worth it?". Wind blew through the area, and through much of the forest, from the single birds movements.

As the eagle was making this decision, Howl had made his own. His body shot for the eagle as it raised it wings, likely preparing to take to the air, hands raising. His nails were soon fierce claws, poised to strike.

Seeing him coming, the eagle brought its wings forward preemptively, moving back out of harms way...

Howl makes an Aimed Strike (AP 3 - >2) at the Kunshu Eagle with Seido Kari, but misses! (KP -29 126 -> 97)
*Seido Kari = Precision Hunt

Howl flipped around from his lunge however, feet landing against a tree before kicking off. The eagle caught sight of his fierce eyes before the kitsune hunters claws tore into one of its wings, spraying blood and causing it to let out a screech of sorts.

Howl repeats his aimed Seido Kari on the Kunshu Eagle, inflicting 80 damage! (HP 151 -> 71) (Howl AP 2 -> 1) (KP 97 -> 62)

Additionally, thanks to the Aimed Strike for the wing, the Kunshu Eagle is grounded! Beyond that, its been inflicting with Bleeding for 5 rounds!

As blood began to spray from the damaged wing, Howl landed down behind the Eagle, claws wet with the red liquid.

"I've clipped your wing, Kunshu..." Howl began, turning his head back towards it, "What was damaged the most though...was your pride, i'm guessing?"

Kunshu Eagle's turn!
TheToonKing
TheToonKing
ToonKing911
ToonKing911

Back to top Go down

Post by SSJRandomMaster Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:42 pm

The Eagle let out another loud squawk of rage… or perhaps fear? It was hard to tell. The Eagle lashed out, rushing towards Howl with its beak lowered. Its beak cut into Howl’s shoulder, but did no more than that. Already it was circling around, hopping towards Jewel. Jewel, however, got out of the way once again. She had expected the Kunshu Eagle to continue its attack, and her spear was at the ready. However, she soon realized that the Kunshu Eagle was indeed lashing out wildly, and it targeted the sole survivor of the boars.

The boar, however, responded with a loud squeal of its own, and charged into the eagle bodily.

“What??” Jewel questioned. One, that the boar was even still there at all; two, that it had attacked back at the eagle; three, that it had done damage.

On second thought, perhaps it wasn’t so surprising. One of the tusks had pierced where Jewel’s own spear strike had already, and the eagle reared back, loudly squawking in pain.

The Kunshu Eagle attacks Howl, inflicting 18 damage! (Howl HP 137 -> 119) It then tries to attack Jewel (Eagle AP 2 -> 1), who dodges! It also tries to attack Boar A, but Boar A counters with Fierce Charge (Boar A KP 70 -> 65), striking for 22 damage! (Eagle HP 67 -> 45; AP 1 -> 0)
Boar A’s turn!

The boar snorted, though whether out of stubbornness or surprise wasn’t clear immediately. However, it very quickly became apparent that it was the former, for it tried its maneuver one more time against the Eagle. The eagle was still struggling to recover between the pain and humiliation, and had no time to respond.

“As an animal, its only possible to react according to their own instincts, which guide them towards survival. And yet...” Howl observed, as the boar made lethal contact with the eagle, its tusks tearing straight through the body as it ran forward blindly, its vision completely obscured by the body that was now attached to it.

“The Hageshi gathered all the pride of its lost comrades and used it to pierce through an enemy which would have otherwise been undefeatable for them...” Howl continued. The boar impacted a tall, sturdy tree, which tremored from the impact. The boar boss’s carcass had been left behind in the wake of the attack. It slowly slid its tusks out of the now dead eagle, as Howl finished his observation.

“If I had to guess, our own hunt inspired it a bit…”

Boar A uses a second Fierce Charge on the Eagle, emboldened by its previous assault (Boar KP 65 -> 60)! It succeeds and lands a critical hit, inflicting 54 damage, successfully killing the eagle!? (Eagle HP 45 -> 0)
Jewel’s turn!

“I see…” Jewel said, internally noting, however, that the damage it had already incurred from her and her sensei had already worn it down quite a bit.

But that does raise the question, Jewel thought, What should we do about this boar…? After that display, it’d be a shame to just kill it…

Unsure of how to proceed, watching the boar carefully as it turned towards them, Jewel took another long, deep breath.

Jewel rests for the turn, regaining 6 ESP and 1 AP. Her HP is already full! (ESP 91 -> 97; AP 2 -> 3)
---------------
Initiative Order
-----------------
Howl (17)
Hageshi Boar A (9)
Jewel (8)

-----------
Jewel (Lv. 4 / 86 HP / 154 KP / 97 ESP / 3 AP)
Howl (Lv. 5 / 119 HP / 68 KP / 1 AP)
Hageshi Boar A (Lv. 2 / 60 HP / 60 KP / 0 AP)
SSJRandomMaster
SSJRandomMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TheToonKing Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:22 pm

Round 6, start!
Howl's turn!

Jewels words had Howl thinking on another matter a moment.

"Gathering up all of ones strength and feeling and thrusting it out, almost like a spear..." he smiled, "It reminds me of someone..."

As the Hageshi Boar glared between the two, it showed eyes that gleamed with a still present blaze of passion. Jewel had given pause to it, such a rare sense of individuality coming from the animal.

As the boar blazed and Jewel paused, Howl had calmly walked over to the boars side, surprising it. Howl leaned over casually, and whispered into the Hageshi Boar's ear, and surprisingly it didn't pull away, seemingly interested.

"Wait, are you speaking quietly so I don't hear you??" Jewel realized. Howl paused, both him and the Boar looking at her for a moment. He immediately continued speaking.

Howl uses his Speak with Animals skill to talk to the remaining Hageshi Boar!

Moments later Howl gave a nod, and stepped off towards the side. Jewel was puzzled...

The lone boar continued its low charge-ready stance suddenly, eying Jewel.

"The Hageshi survive by gathering together to fight off predators as a group. This is generally under whomever is deemed the strongest boar around."

"Of course..." Jewel nodded, not seeing his---....

Howl lifted both hands, one raised to the boar, and another to Jewel.

"I suggested that with his previous boss gone, he could find a new one, and not die just yet..." Howl said, "I also took myself out of the running...so its just you two in the fight to prove whose the superior."

"Sensei..." Jewel began...

Howl then pointed a finger at Jewel to interupt her, "So prove that you're the strongest boar around, Jewel!!"

Howl draws out of combat...!!

Hageshi Boar's turn!
TheToonKing
TheToonKing
ToonKing911
ToonKing911

Back to top Go down

Post by SSJRandomMaster Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:20 am

The boar rushed towards Jewel without another word, Howl’s sudden withdrawal leaving Jewel only slightly off-guard. However, even slight delays in the wild can leave anyone or anything vulnerable. Jewel’s reflexes kicked in, and her spear suddenly blocked the onrushing boar’s tusk, slightly knocking it aside and redirecting the course of the attack.

Boar attempts a regular attack, but misses Jewel just barely!
Jewel’s turn!

Jewel tried to take advantage of her opponent’s lag. Quickly, using her connection with her weapon, she changed its shape slightly—no longer was it pointed, but instead a smooth, solid tip, perfect for non-lethal use. With that, Jewel brought it down, aiming to take advantage of the boar’s redirected charge…

A miss. Jewel had misjudged how much force she had put into her parry, and the boar slipped out of the way by the tip of its tail. Quickly, Jewel tried once more to try to smack the boar into submission, but no dice. The boar began circling around, Jewel readying herself for its charge.

I’m off-balance again… Jewel sighed to herself.

Jewel attacks the boar twice, but both attacks miss! (Jewel AP 3 -> 2)
-------------
Initiative Order
-----------------
Hageshi Boar A (9)
Jewel (8)

-----------
Jewel (Lv. 4 / 86 HP / 154 KP / 97 ESP / 2 AP)
-------------
Round 7, start!
Boar’s turn!
SSJRandomMaster
SSJRandomMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TheToonKing Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:42 am

Hageshi Boar's turn

Despite those thrusts missing, the boar watched the blunt spear carefully, knowing of its danger. It had killed one of his own just moments ago after all... And this boar wouldn't allow itself to make the same mistakes. Even if this wasn't to the death, he'd proove himself...

The boar ran, straight at Jewel, but his exact trajectory was hard to read...

As Jewel moved her body out of the way, the Hageshi twisted, knocking a tusk against the spears shaft. The weapon flung from the kitsune's grasp, surprising her.

Hageshi Boar A disarms Jewel!

"Oh? Clever boar...". Howl chimed in from the sidelines.

Jewels turn!
TheToonKing
TheToonKing
ToonKing911
ToonKing911

Back to top Go down

Post by SSJRandomMaster Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:11 am

The kitsune was a bit flat-footed now, especially since that beast had managed to wrench loose her spear. Her jewel, easily the most precious thing to her at the moment. Without wasting a moment, Jewel immediately went to retrieve her weapon, re-readying for the next attack.

Such uncanny intelligence…

Jewel takes her turn to recover her spear!
-------------
Initiative Order
-----------------
Hageshi Boar A (9)
Jewel (8)

-----------
Jewel (Lv. 4 / 86 HP / 154 KP / 97 ESP / 2 AP)
-------------
Round 8, start!
Boar’s turn!
SSJRandomMaster
SSJRandomMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TheToonKing Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:23 am

Hageshi Boar's turn!

The boar moved its legs as fast as it could, hoping to catch Jewel before she'd retrieved her weapon, but she was to quick. She hadn't payed his charge any mind while focusing on the recovery, now turning to face her opponent.

The boar gave out a bit of a roar, before lowering its head in charge...

In that moment, one of Jewels bare feet slid across the ground, moving her in past the charge...her spear followed her and slammed into the fierce mammals side, knocking the heavy animal back. If the spears tip had still been sharp, it would have easily pierced its hide.

Hageshi Boar A attacks Jewel with its Hageshi Tosshin, but she counters, inflicting 16 damage! (HP 60 -> 44)

"She's responding well to being disarmed...the shock didn't get into her head. She's already started rebuilding her pace."

Jewel's turn!
TheToonKing
TheToonKing
ToonKing911
ToonKing911

Back to top Go down

Post by SSJRandomMaster Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:50 am

Seeing the momentum swinging back into her favor, Jewel spun the spear exactly once in her hands.

I can’t allow myself to lose here… Jewel thought, This boar’s learning quick. I’d better end this now…

With this, Jewel thrust her spear forward, the blunted tip striking the boar directly between the eyes with an incredibly loud thwack! As the boar staggered backwards from the impact, one of its hooves slipping out from underneath it, Jewel quickly turned the spear in her hands, and slammed it once more, this time against where the boar’s temple would be. The boar lost the rest of its balance, and with one last squeal, it was knocked from its feet, clearly unable to continue further, but nonlethally damaged. It would live.

Jewel attacks Boar A with a spear strike, a crit! 26 damage! (Boar A HP 44 -> 18) She burns an AP to attack again (Jewel AP 2 -> 1), a hit! 19 damage! (Boar A 18 -> 0) Boar A is K.O.’d!
Combat over!
SSJRandomMaster
SSJRandomMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TheToonKing Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:27 am

Jewel took a deep breath, and gave a nod. Her spear began to shrink down, returning to the small Hoshi no Tama, which she returned to her necklace. Howl came over.

"You didn't allow him to hit you even once..." he said, "Poor guy. When he wakes up, you will be his new boss."

"Hm...well that's a first." Jewel replied with some thought, "At least as far as I've heard, of a kitsune having a Hageshi under their command, I mean."

Jewel's master thought on this a moment, as he tugged at his chin fur... "You may be right about that...maybe this is the start of something?"

"..." Jewel wasn't to in love with her masters tone...

--- --- --- --- ---
Some time later, the two were traveling back towards the Zenko tribal grounds...both with a boar carcass over their shoulder, despite the animal being well over their size. Behind them the surviving boar was dragging its own kill along, the Kunshu Eagle. It had woken up along the way, and clearly insisted on pulling its weight, despite being pretty banged up still.

"I'll let you two take the meat along to be prepared for tonight..." Howl said, placing the previous boss boar down. He gave Jewel and the boar a look of consideration, "The daily feasts are always in need of supply...Why don't you two take up hunting for us more often?"

---

In the Zenko tribe, breakfast and dinner feasts are held every day so everyone is fed. Various warriors hunt the meat, and others
scavenge amoungst the plants, aand everything is gathered for everyone to share in.

---

Jewel looked up, surprised. She'd been mostly helping various members of the tribe with all sorts of tasks ever since her training sessions with Howl has petered off... "Hunt more often with...?" this brought a new question to mind, what to call the boar...

After deliberating on it, she turned to the Hageshi Boar and asked, "How does that sound to you, 'Opa'?"

"Opa" looked up, and despite its exhaustion gave a hearty grunt of agreement. A genuine smile came to Jewels face at the response. She turned to Howl with it, "What about you, Sensei? Will you join my next hunt as well?"

Howl was busy digging a pinky into one of his ears...

"Nope. You two can handle things..."

Jewels expression didn't change, as she gave a bow. "I see. Thank you." she replied. Opa imitated her bow.

"Of course...Sensei wants to use all the time he can get to goof off!!"
is what she really thought. Her master peaked at his student.

"Hmm...If you were feeling eager to continue learning under me again, I could perhaps have scrounged together some advanced lessons as well...." Howl said, and he started to leave...walking off from here.

Jewel raised her head suddenly, "Advanced lessons?"

"My decades of experience, the best of it will only go with me to the grave...its a shame. But only eager students can learn such things..."

"I..." Jewel clutched her fists tightly, a bit guilty over her earlier statements, and a bit peeved that her master was going to make her say this... "I-I'm still eager to learn!"

As she declared this, she gave another bow, as did Opa. "If there's still things you have left to teach me, then I still have things left to learn from you!"

Howl was still turned away from Jewel, paused. "Ah..." his head lowered, "So that's your response..."

The wise elder of the Zenko people turned, tears streaming down his wide eyes, sniffing back snot in his nose, chin trembling...

Arc I Side Story 6: A Gem In The Rough Sad-anime-face-gif-4
"My student is the greatest under the heavens!!"

The chibified Howl zoomed over to Jewel, dirt kicking up around him, before he started crying into her shoulder. She frowned... "... your attitude was practically telling me to say that... Don't act all surprised now..."

Howl tried to reply between weeps, but failed...

"You're such a handful, sensei..."

Jewel's lips slowly gave way into a gentle smile, which her sensei would never see...
TheToonKing
TheToonKing
ToonKing911
ToonKing911

Back to top Go down

Post by SSJRandomMaster Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:29 am

REWARDS

Jewel gains +1,500 EXP for this quest.
(other rewards TBD)
SSJRandomMaster
SSJRandomMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down